- To improve the livelihood of local people in the proposed parks by developing tourism and the park management;
- To safeguard biodiversity conservation by establishing a well-developed network of protected areas in western Karelia.
- To develop a sustainable basis for the protected areas and to create new employment;
- To disseminate information and to improve the visitor services of the protected areas;
- Legal establishment of four new protected areas;
- To create a basic capacity for the management of the park.
- Baseline study of the current socio-economic situation;
- Strategy for nature related tourism in western Karelia;
- A network of local tourism operators initiated and trained, with links across the border;
- Developing visitor services in each of the areas;
- Exhibition for the Paanajärvi Visitor Centre and some visitor services to be constructed in the parks;
- Information regarding the parks and Project achievements produced and disseminated;
- Necesssary documentation for the legal establishment of the parks prepared;
- Information collected for each of the parks and stored in a Geographical Information System where applicable;
- Five management plans completed with the participatory planning method, plans meet the best international standards;
- Strenghthened cross border co-operation and training park staff in park management;
- Tender documents and supervision of construction of the Paanajärvi Visitor Centre;
- The parks are supplied with the basic equipment required for running them.